We are excited to be hitting the reset button for camp in 2021. We've missed everyone! As the actions and policies of our local, provincial and federal government evolve, we anticipate that adjustments may be needed to the way camp has operated in the past. Although this might affect the way some services are delivered, we will do everything possible to preserve the traditional day camp experience that has made our program popular. We will provide frequent updates to everyone who registers as we move forward. Thank you for your support!
LIT PROGRAM 2021
Our Leader-In-Training Program is a summer camp program for teens who have just completed grade 9. This program is an excellent opportunity to learn leadership strategies, build team skills, and develop a healthy work ethic. As an ‘LIT’, participants are expected to take on responsibilities associated with counselling and instructing while being supervised and guided. In 2021, the Leader-In-Training Program is a two-week commitment with mandatory overnight participation the first week of each session to further the participant’s leadership development.
LIT Program Highlights
- Learn how to become an outstanding role model
- Learn effective communication with your peers, supervisors, staff members and campers
- Develop key leadership skills and practice them in different aspects of our summer camp setting – such as leading groups of campers throughout the day, or facilitating an activity
- Practice goal-setting and decision-making
- Develop important social and interpersonal skills
- Create and deliver lesson plans
- Implement behaviour management techniques and strategies that are important in becoming an effective camp staff member
- Develop long lasting friendships with your fellow LIT’s
- Gain the skills and experience needed to prepare you to excel as a leader in the future!
Taking Part in this Program is a 5-Step Process
- 2021 applications will be available December 1st! Applicants must use their own email address to create their account. Accounts and applications submitted using a parent’s email address cannot be accepted.
- Selected applicants will take part in an interview with our Camp Director. Interviews will take place online in the evenings or on the weekend.
- References of selected applicants will be contacted (at least 2).
- Program participants are chosen based on their performance during the interview and on merit. Acceptance to the program will be sent formally through email.
- Registration to the LIT program must be done by the parent, once the applicant has been accepted. This notification will be sent through email.
It should be understood that the program is designed to present each Leader-In-Training Program participant with new experiences and this begins with the application process. We are looking for individuals who are ready to take on greater responsibilities than that of a regular Camper. We strongly encourage each candidate to try and complete the application and arrange for the interview with minimal help from their parents. This represents the first step in taking on the additional expectations of being an ‘LIT’.
Session 1: July 12-23 (Week Days only) FULL
Session 2: July 19-30 (Week Days only) Contact for details
Session 3: August 9-20 (Week Days only) FULL
Session 4: August 16-27 (Week Days only) Contact for details
OPTIONS FOR OUR 2020 LIT'S - PROGRAM CANCELLED
In late September and early October, Peter, Chex and Java ran two weekend leadership sessions for 25 of our 2020 LIT's. It was great seeing them back at camp!
We are also offering a summer experience! We are setting aside the weeks of July 4th and August 1st of 2021 for our 2020 LIT’s. Participants will live at camp during the week and have the chance to learn the essentials of becoming a strong leader. Following their participation in this week-long program, these LIT’s can opt to apply as Auxiliary Counsellors for the duration of the month.
Finally, anyone who has completed grade 10 as of July 2021 can apply to work at camp as an Auxiliary Counsellor. Although taking part in our Fall weekend and our week-long program in 2021 is considered an asset when applying, it is not required. We’d like to thank everyone for their patience while we navigate through all of this and I hope to see you back at Kettleby Valley soon!