Leader in Training 2022
Our Leader-In-Training Program is a summer camp program for teens who have just completed grade 9 (born in 2007). This program is a three week commitment, the first of which requires the LIT to attend overnight from Sunday to Friday. This is an excellent opportunity to learn leadership strategies, build team skills, and develop a healthy work ethic. As an ‘LIT’, participants are expected to take on responsibilities associated with counselling and instructing while being supervised and guided.
LIT Program Highlights
- Learn how to become an outstanding role model
- Learn effective communication with your peers, supervisors, staff members and campers
- Develop key leadership skills and practice them in different aspects of our summer camp setting – such as leading groups of campers throughout the day, or facilitating an activity
- Practice goal-setting and decision-making
- Develop important social and interpersonal skills
- Create and deliver lesson plans
- Implement behaviour management techniques and strategies that are important in becoming an effective camp staff member
- Develop long lasting friendships with your fellow LIT’s
- Gain the skills and experience needed to prepare you to excel as a leader in the future!
- Lastly there is the possibility to earn volunteer hours. Participants who successfully complete the program maybe be asked to return for a fourth week to volunteer. Volunteers are chosen based on merit during the third week of the program
Taking Part in this Program is a 6-Step Process
STEP 1 – COMPLETE AND SUBMIT AN APPLICATION: 2022 applications will be online, beginning December 1st! Applicants must use their own email address to create their account. Accounts and applications submitted using a parent’s email address cannot be accepted. You will need to provide 2 references on your application.
STEP 2 – INTERVIEW: Selected applicants will take part in an interview with our Camp Director. Interviews will take place online in the evenings or on the weekend.
STEP 4 – REFERENCES CHECKED: References of selected applicants will be contacted (at least 2). Please be sure that an email is included for each reference provided.
STEP 5 – SELECTION PROCESS: Program participants are chosen based on their performance during the interview, the response from their references and on their past experience. Acceptance to the program will be sent formally through email.
STEP 6 – REGISTER FOR THE LIT PROGRAM: Once the applicant has been formally accepted, registration to the LIT program must be done by the parent.
It should be understood that the program is designed to present each Leader-In-Training Program participant with new experiences and this begins with the application process. We are looking for individuals who are ready to take on greater responsibilities than that of a regular Camper. We strongly encourage each candidate to try and complete the application and arrange for the interview with minimal help from their parents. This represents the first step in taking on the additional expectations of being an ‘LIT’.