KETTLEBY VALLEY CAMP HISTORY
Our Summer Camp history began in the late 1950’s, when a teacher in Richmond Hill by the name of Bill Babcock had a passion for adventure camps and the positive affect it can have on youth.
Bill and his wife Jean established RICHILDACA – a day camp in Kettleby that offered overnight camps as well. By the 1960’s, RICHILDACA became a summer camp where children developed confidence through activities such as canoeing, swimming and archery. Over the years, RICHILDACA grew to accommodate overnight camps and facilitate outdoor education adventure camp programs for schools. RICHILDACA was one of the first summer camps to offer both overnight camps and day camps.
Following in the footsteps of RICHILDACA, Kettleby Valley Summer Camp began in 1998 by leasing the property and establishing a summer day camp. By 2000, Kettleby Valley had established week-long overnight summer camps program to further develop a camper’s sense of independence.
In 2005, Kettleby Valley purchased the original RICHILDACA property. The following year, the Summer Camp expanded to include the 30 acres directly south known as the ‘Conniver property’. The old shelters and outhouses were eventually replaced. New change room facilities and the addition of a second pool were just a few of the projects that we took on. In 2009, construction began on a new dining hall and was completed just days before the summer camp season began.
Like RICHILDACA, Kettleby Valley Summer Camp began humbly and grew over time. We have become the summer camp Toronto, Aurora, Newmarket and Richmond Hill families love. We have carried on the tradition that Jean and Bill started so many years ago. We know that, without their hard work and commitment, Kettleby Valley would have never been established.